This two day workshop is designed to provide R&D
team/group leaders or managers with the knowledge and skills required to
manage and retain highly trained professionals in the challenging environment
of an R&D laboratory. This workshop draws heavily on the vast literature
on the management of technological innovation and R&D management.
Who Should Attend
R&D personnel in the following categories would benefit from this
- First or second level R&D supervisors/team leaders
- Scientists, engineers or technologists who are being considered for
promotion to supervisory positions
- Scientists or engineers who take on temporary supervisory roles such
as project leaders or group leaders.
What an Effective R&D Team/Group Leader
- Important Management Functions
- Key Activities of an Effective R&D Manager/Team Leader
- Factors that Influence an R&D Team/Group Leader's Behaviour
- Organizational Factors that Support or Inhibit Effective R&D Management
Easing the Transition from Researcher to Supervisor/Team Leader
- Selecting the Best R&D Team Leaders/Managers
- Orientation of New R&D Team/Group Leaders
- Training R&D Supervisors/Team Leaders
- Importance of Guidance and Mentoring
- Transition Difficulties to Avoid
Team Leadership Styles and Organizing the R&D Team
- Sources of Managerial Power
- Effective R&D Leadership Styles
- Characteristics of Good and Bad R&D Team Leaders
- Organizational Actions that Support or Inhibit the Team
- Characteristics of an Effective Team
Improving R&D Interpersonal Communication
Skills in the R&D Environment and
- General Reasons for Poor Communication
- Communication Improvement Techniques
- Sources of Communications Difficulties in R&D
Effectively Managing Conflict
in the R&D Environment
- The Benefits of Moderate Conflict
- Causes of Conflict Among
- Resolving Conflict Among
Scientists and Engineers
Workshop Director: Thomas E.
Clarke, M.Sc., M.B.A.
Mr. Clarke has designed and presented R&D
management workshops and courses to scientific personnel from Canadian,
Chinese and U.S. government and industrial laboratories for over thirty-seven
years, and has been a consultant to many Canadian government science-based
departments on R&D management and intellectual property management.
Dates: October 7-8, 2009
Location: Ambrosia Conference & Event Centre,
638 Fisgard Street, Victoria, B.C.
Group rates available.
Price includes a 100+ page workshop manual
Stargate Consultants Limited
1687 Centennary Drive, Nanaimo, BC
Canada, V9X 1A3
Tel: (250) 755-3066